Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Good Ol' Punxsutawney Phil




In honor of good ol' Punxsutawney Phil, I’d like to wish everyone a Happy Ground Hog’s Day! This time honored tradition in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania has been going on since 1887. An old German legend called Candlemas, says that if a furry rodent sees his shadow on February 2 winter will last another 6 weeks… if not you can expect an early spring. In Germany people were placing this hope on a hedgehog but when German immigrants came to Pennsylvania there were no hedgehogs around but a furry ground hog was willing and ready to step into the limelight.


One of the rural German sayings….

If Candlemas is mild and pure,
Winter will be long for sure.

Trust me, for anyone living in the colder states this is a very big deal. As a blizzard bears down right now on the Midwestern section of America, everyone will be happy for an early spring.






There is no shadow to be cast
An early spring is my forecast

I’d also like to say as I write this post… that I’m posting from America. Our expat time has come to a close. I’m behind on a few post but will try to finish those over the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Stolen Childhood Holocaust Survivor ~ Maurits Louis Witsema (de Wit)

Stolen Childhood Holocaust Survivor ~ Maurits Louis Witsema (de Wit) As a little girl growing up in Michigan, I loved to play outside...