Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Canals, Chocolate and Lace... Oh My!


On a rainy day at the end of august before school began, we took drive to Bruges, Belgium.  This picturesque city is nicknamed "The Venice of North Europe". It was a wonderful day to take in all the beautiful lace, great beer and to die for chocolate. We wandered around shopping in the oval shaped city while people floated alongside us on boats in the canals.

The smell of chocolate fills the air outside the shops. There was no way I was leaving without  some melt in my mouth chocolate. Pretty lace, fills windows enticing you to come in and purchase something special. I found a few small pieces that were affordable enough to purchase one for close friends and family.
We were lucky enough to stumble into an art show that had items for sale. I had been looking for unique birthday cards and found an artist who was selling post cards. They are beautiful and when I send them to my friends or family I’m able to say I met the artist. We also bought a drawing of one of the canals. The artist was turning 80 that day.

Finally, we were exhausted from the day. We found a wonderful little Italian place right on the square in the Centrum. Blonde Leffe beer in hand… ahh good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Stolen Childhood Holocaust Survivor ~ Maurits Louis Witsema (de Wit)

Stolen Childhood Holocaust Survivor ~ Maurits Louis Witsema (de Wit) As a little girl growing up in Michigan, I loved to play outside...