Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Twelve Pains of Jet Lag




After my recent travels to the United States, I once again had to deal with jet lag. I’m always so amazed with my friends and family when they come over for a visit and seem to leap off the plane with excitement. They may be a tad tired but within a day they seem to be able to bound to the four corners of Europe ready for excitement.

I was complaining to friends about how tired I was when one of my friends from the States told me to “Suck it up, Buttercup”! After laughing, I thought… maybe something is wrong with me. I don’t think I’m the only one who struggles with jet lag. My husband has traveled all over the world and always takes several days to adjust when he comes home.

Recently I was having lunch with my friends here in The Netherlands. We were discussing jet lag and I asked one friend why it always seems that it’s harder coming this way than when we go back to the states. She said she thinks it’s because we are so excited to be going on a vacation and all pumped with joy of all that we get to do. Then when we come home, it’s like… Ok, now I just need to sleep. I totally agree!

Whatever the reason, this week while visions of Sugar Plums danced in my head, the joy of jet lag led me to dream up this dilly of a song. You don’t have to sing it… but if you’re like me, it’s impossible to read it without singing J


The Twelve Pains of Jet Lag
On the first pain of jet lag my true love gave to me
A pair of flowered jammies.
On the second pain of jet lag my true love gave to me
Two happy puppies and A pair of flowered jammies.
On the third pain of jet lag my true love gave to me
Three still packed bags, Two happy puppies and A pair of flowered jammies.
On the fourth pain of jet lag my true love gave to me
Four fluffy pillows, Three still packed bags, Two happy puppies and A pair of flowered jammies.
On the fifth pain of jet lag my true love gave to me

FIVE BIG LONG NAPS

Four fluffy pillows, Three still packed bags, Two happy puppies and A pair of flowered jammies.
On the sixth pain of jet lag my true love gave to me
Six loads of laundry,

FIVE BIG LONG NAPS

Four fluffy pillows, Three still packed bags, Two happy puppies and A pair of flowered jammies.
On the seventh pain of jet lag my true love gave to me
Seven bottles of water, Six loads of laundry,

FIVE BIG LONG NAPS

Four fluffy pillows, Three still packed bags, Two happy puppies and A pair of flowered jammies.
On the eighth pain of jet lag my true love gave to me
Eight cups of coffee, Seven bottles of water, Six loads of laundry,

FIVE BIG LONG NAPS

Four fluffy pillows, Three still packed bags, Two happy puppies and A pair of flowered jammies.
On the ninth pain of jet lag my true love gave to me
Nine big time headaches, Eight cups of coffee, Seven bottles of water, Six loads of laundry,

FIVE BIG LONG NAPS

Four fluffy pillows, Three still packed bags, Two happy puppies and A pair of flowered jammies.
On the tenth pain of jet lag my true love gave to me
Ten sleepless nights, Nine big time headaches, Eight cups of coffee, Seven bottles of water, Six loads of laundry,

FIVE BIG LONG NAPS

Four fluffy pillows, Three still packed bags, Two happy puppies and A pair of flowered jammies.
On the Eleventh pain of jet lag my true love gave to me
Eleven days of wandering, Ten sleepless nights, Nine big time headaches, Eight cups of coffee, Seven bottles of water, Six loads of laundry,

FIVE BIG LONG NAPS

Four fluffy pillows, Three still packed bags, Two happy puppies and A pair of flowered jammies.
On the Twelfth pain of jet lag my true love gave to me
Twelve beautiful roses, Eleven days of wandering, Ten sleepless nights, Nine big time headaches, Eight cups of coffee, Seven bottles of water, Six loads of laundry,

FIVE BIG LONG NAPS

Four fluffy pillows, Three still packed bags, Two happy puppies and
A pair of flowered jammies


(yes please)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Stolen Childhood Holocaust Survivor ~ Maurits Louis Witsema (de Wit)

Stolen Childhood Holocaust Survivor ~ Maurits Louis Witsema (de Wit) As a little girl growing up in Michigan, I loved to play outside...