Friday, March 9, 2012

It’s My Life



As I write this, I’m listening to one of my all-time favorite bands, Bon Jovi. Yesterday was Jon’s birthday so of course my sources alerted me to the big day. Yes, we’re the same age. I’ll be turning the half century mark in a month. I’ve been thinking a lot lately about my love for music and how different songs mark and affect your life.

I can remember songs that were popular as a kid. I remember gathering a dollar so that I could go downtown to the local music store to buy a 45 record. If I was lucky I would have five dollars to buy an album. Singing my way through my childhood and teens listening to The Jackson 5, The Supremes, Bob Seger, The Beatles and The Who. I played piano and played clarinet in my high school marching band so my love for marching band music is as strong as all other genres. I cannot live through football season without listening to the Michigan marching band play Temptation or Hawaiian War Chant. And of course I will always Hail to the Victors (even though I went to Iowa State).

My kids have all had to endure their mom singing to every song or even making songs up to almost anything in life. But along the way, I think they got used to the fact that their mother even enjoyed their music. How would I have ever survived without singing songs from The Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Justin Bieber, Eminem and especially The Spice Girls? Their music has been such a huge part of my children’s lives, I’m just happy my girls and I have had these great people to help us sing together. I mean, is there really anything better than car dancing and singing at the top of your lungs to a song with your kids? These are wonderful memories for me.

But now, as I sit on the other side of the world far from Motown and the roots of my beloved music, I’m surrounded by a new world of music. Most of the music that is played on the radio comes from the US. I’m so glad that most of the Polka songs are not on the channels we listen to. I had to square dance in middle school, and I really got my fill for Polka songs back then. But there are a few songs that are very popular that are sung in Dutch that I actually like.



Ik Neem Je Mee
I'll Take You




And Sex Met Die Kale

Sex With Those Bald




Not sure what they are about but they have very catchy tunes and every kid and most adults can sing all the words. I’m thinking this may help me learn the Dutch language. I just need the video with the little bouncing ball above the words to sing my way through it.

So as Jon would say….. I just want to live while I’m alive!! And I choose to sing my way through! By the way, Happy Birthday JBJ!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Stolen Childhood Holocaust Survivor ~ Maurits Louis Witsema (de Wit)

Stolen Childhood Holocaust Survivor ~ Maurits Louis Witsema (de Wit) As a little girl growing up in Michigan, I loved to play outside...