Saturday, December 10, 2011

Riders on the Storm

I love individuality, not only in people, but in the things that surround us in our lives. One of the pleasures of living in Europe is that not too many things are mass produced making the scenery pleasing to my eyes. While riding in the car, instead of my brain shutting off, I’m drawn to the differences around me.   Since moving to The Netherlands, I’ve developed a fascination with doors.
The band The Doors had it right…  The band took its name from Aldous Huxley's book The Doors of Perception,[3] the title of which was a reference to a William Blake quotation: "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."… Wikipedia.
Are the doors trying to tell us a secret of what we will find inside? Are they leading us somewhere? Are they hiding something? Besides providing us with comfort, warmth and protection, the individual doors are telling us a “little” of what is behind them. To me, it’s like when you’re at a fun house and can see a door. But the mirrors of the fun house show an infinity of doors. What are behind all of those doors? I guess I’m a little like Alice in Wonderland….very curious.

The door at a Monistery in Postel, Belgium



A door in Brugge, Belgium in the circle that surrounds the center of the villiage.



The door to Hell. Gestapo prison door at the El De Haus in Cologne, Germany



Door in Maastricht, The Netherlands..offering a welcoming hand.



The door to the next little piece of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Stolen Childhood Holocaust Survivor ~ Maurits Louis Witsema (de Wit)

Stolen Childhood Holocaust Survivor ~ Maurits Louis Witsema (de Wit) As a little girl growing up in Michigan, I loved to play outside...